Access external Fedora filesystem

Duane Clark fpga at pacbell.net
Sat Dec 1 18:11:08 UTC 2007

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> The problem is probably that sdc2 is an LVM volume, os it is a
> little harder to mount. Probably the easiest way is to look at
> /etc/fstab on F7, and copy the entry for /, changing / to match the
> desired mount point.For example, if fstab has:
>
> /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 /        ext3    defaults        1 1
>
> you would want to do something like:
>
> mount /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 /mnt/test.

Unfortunately, the F8 system is probably also LVM, and by default it
also is named VolGroup00/LogVol00. When you boot the system, immediately
after booting starts, check whether it prints a message about LVM
finding VolGroup00 twice. If so, then both disks are using the same LVM
names, and that mount command will not work.

I am unaware of a method that will allow you to mount two LVM
filesystems with the same names. As far as I know, you would have to
rename one of them. I really don't understand why the installation
doesn't make the two numbers random (so you would get, say, VolGroup75)
rather than always "00". That would eliminate this particular problem.