Reading old floppies under linux

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sat Dec 1 18:14:50 UTC 2007

Lamar Owen wrote:
> On Friday 30 November 2007, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>> Then again, I should probably archive all
>> the 5-1/4" floppies while I still have a drive that reads them. I
>> have so 5-1/4" 96tpi double-density drives and floppies. I guess I
>> could teach Linux to read the floppies in a 5-1/4" high-density
>> drive. (Data rate of a 360K floppy but the track spacing of a 1.2M
>> floppy - the same format as a 720k 3-1/2" floppy.)
>
> One word: CatWeasel.  Programs are available for Linux to read and write
> virtually any format floppy with a PC.  Even Apple ][, Commodore, TRS-80,
> PDP-11 (RX02 even if you have an eight-inch drive, RX50 for the 5.25), even
> Mac formatted 3.5 inch floppies can be read and/or written.  With xtrs and a
> catweasel your Fedora 8 box can be the fastest TRS-80 ever made.... (yes, I
> still occasionally fire up xtrs to remember just how good modern OS's like F8
> are compared to the old TRSDOS I started with many years ago.)
>
> You want the MK4 card, which isn't too hard to find.  If you wanted an MK3,
> well, I have one that I'm looking to seel now that I have an MK4... :-). See
> http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=42&products_id=206&osCsid=4749689b5aa2256c81e7b077ee67bc5d
> for an order page from amigakit for the MK4.  The card is $123.41US.  If you
> have lots of old floppies to archive, this is the card to have.
>
> The old 96TPI 5.25 inch double-density drives were pretty common on TRS-80's,
> too, in the enthusiast markets at least.  80 tracks and double-sided;
> aka 'quad density'.
It is an interesting card, but it is not worth the investment for
what I need to do. It isn't hard to make Linux read the drive. I
believe I can teach cpmtools about the formats I am using. I mainly
use one standard one, and one I created for backups that does not
have a system track. The disks are double sided, double density,
96tpi. The track layout is the same as a 720k 3-1/2" disk.

Mikkel