[F8] fingerprint scanner

Konstantin Svist fry.kun at gmail.com
Sat Dec 1 18:14:01 UTC 2007

Amar Kumar Padhi wrote:
> Hi,
> Just installed fedora 8 x86-64 on an AMD laptop, hp dv6500. I am stuck at finger print scanner. I googled but could not locate steps to make use of fingerprint scanner for logging in.
>
> Any pointers/links will be very handy, thanks.

I've researched this a while ago (about a year, or two) - and this is
what I found:
* linux support for fingerprint scanners is rudimentary, at best
* The only good software that performs fingerprint recognition is non-free
* the only GPL variant was barely able to process the image
* gdm/kdm didn't have any support for fingerprint identification

That said, Windows doesn't do fingerprints correctly. The idea behind
fingerprints is to establish a 2-factor authentication, not replace
passwords. Make sure that this is what you're seeking.

See here how Mythbusters opened a "strong" fingerprint-only lock with a
photocopied fingerprint:
http://www.engadget.com/2006/09/22/digital-fingerprint-door-lock-defeated-by-photocopied-print/