Question about LVM and RAID

Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu m3freak at thesandhufamily.ca
Mon Dec 3 03:42:58 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-12-02 at 14:29 +0200, Gilboa Davara wrote:
> > What would happen if one of the RAID arrays failed (e.g. two drives die
> > in RAID 5 array 1)?  Would the data be safe, would I lose all data, or
> > would I just lose the data that was on the failed array?
>
> Two drives in either RAID will most likely kill your LVM.

Guess the friend was right, although I had a feeling he would be.  Well,
there isn't much data on the arrays yet, so I think I might just rebuild
it as one big RAID 5 instead.

> It's a matter of blind luck, but any LV that sits on the dead RAID5
> array will be taken with it.

Ok.  I need to mount all the storage on one file system, so having two
arrays won't work (I want to mount everything on /srv).

Thanks to everyone for the input!

Regards,

Ranbir
--