Samba/Fedora 8 problems

Michael Eager eager at eagercon.com
Mon Dec 3 07:22:46 UTC 2007

I'm having problems getting Samba to work on Fedora 8.
Perhaps someone has an idea.

Here's the simple smb.conf I'm using:

[global]
workgroup = WORKGROUP
security = users
wins support = yes

[work]
comment = Work Area
path = /export/work
public = yes
guest ok = yes
writable = yes
readonly = no
printable = no
browseable = yes

SELinux is disabled, no firewall.

When I run "smbclient -L localhost -U%" I get the following:

         Sharename       Type      Comment
         ---------       ----      -------
         work            Disk      Work Area
         IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (Samba 3.0.27a-0.fc8)

         Server               Comment
         ---------            -------

         Workgroup            Master
         ---------            -------

I would expect the workgroup name and server name to be listed.

findsmb reports Samba servers on other systems, but not localhost.

I've tried with "security = share" and without the "wins" line.
I've also tried a working smb.conf from a FC 5 system.
I created a user with smbpasswd.  None of this makes any difference.

I noticed that nmbd is started by /etc/init.d/smb on the FC 5
system, but that F8 doesn't.  Not sure what that means.

Any suggestions?

Michael Eager	 eager at eagercon.com
1960 Park Blvd., Palo Alto, CA 94306  650-325-8077