Samba/Fedora 8 problems

Michael Eager eager at eagercon.com
Mon Dec 3 19:04:33 UTC 2007

Paul Smith wrote:
> On Dec 3, 2007 2:45 PM, Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> wrote:
>>> I'm having problems getting Samba to work on Fedora 8.
>>> Perhaps someone has an idea.
>>>
>>> Here's the simple smb.conf I'm using:
>>>
>>> [global]
>>> workgroup = WORKGROUP
>>> security = users
>>> wins support = yes
>>>
>>> [work]
>>> comment = Work Area
>>> path = /export/work
>>> public = yes
>>> guest ok = yes
>>> writable = yes
>>> readonly = no
>>> printable = no
>>> browseable = yes
>>>
>>> SELinux is disabled, no firewall.
>>>
>>> When I run "smbclient -L localhost -U%" I get the following:
>>>
>>>          Sharename       Type      Comment
>>>          ---------       ----      -------
>>>          work            Disk      Work Area
>>>          IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (Samba 3.0.27a-0.fc8)
>>>
>>>          Server               Comment
>>>          ---------            -------
>>>
>>>          Workgroup            Master
>>>          ---------            -------
>>>
>>> I would expect the workgroup name and server name to be listed.
>>>
>>> findsmb reports Samba servers on other systems, but not localhost.
>>>
>>> I've tried with "security = share" and without the "wins" line.
>>> I've also tried a working smb.conf from a FC 5 system.
>>> I created a user with smbpasswd.  None of this makes any difference.
>>>
>>> I noticed that nmbd is started by /etc/init.d/smb on the FC 5
>>> system, but that F8 doesn't.  Not sure what that means.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions?
>> ----
>> shouldn't that be
>>
>> security = user

Yes, fixed it.  Doesn't make any difference.

>> ?
>>
>> smbclient -L $HOSTNAME
>> where $HOSTNAME is the name of your computer though localhost or ip
>> should work. You don't need to authenticate (a user)

See above.

>> what errors do you get when you do...
>>
>> testparm -s

None (after correcting the typo).

Apparently, another typo seems to be the problem:
"readonly" should be "read only".  system-config-samba
complained about it where testparm didn't.

Thanks for the help!

Michael Eager	 eager at eagercon.com
1960 Park Blvd., Palo Alto, CA 94306  650-325-8077