partition size questions

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Mon Dec 3 23:38:52 UTC 2007

Michael.Coll-Barth at VerizonWireless.com wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I have come across a problem relating to partitions.  I have a multi
> boot box with Ubuntu 7.10, Fedora 8 and
> Win 2K.  There is also a very large unallocated section of disk space.
> The two linux partitions are sitting together on an extended partition
> and I would like to make each smaller.  None of the partition managers
> would allow me to shrink the partitions.

    There are some but they cost money.
> In playing with the partitions, I decided to create a new partition in
> the unallocated area and copy, one linux version at a time, delete the
> current linux partition, create a new smaller one and copy that linux
> version back.  Once finished, do the other linux version.  After
> creating the new partition, but before the copy, I tried to boot into
> Windows and got the BSOD.
    I gather you mean the Blue Screen Of Death? You didn't say how you
booted there.

>  I can rebuild, but what happened?  Once I
> rebuild Windows, I know that grub will no longer work.  How should I go
> about backing up what I have and then restoring it after the Windows
> build?  The boot loader is being managed through Ubuntu.
>
> Last thing for now, before someone shoots me for all these newbie
> questions, would you mind clearing something up for me.  I thought HDx
> was for IDE drives while the SDx was for the SCSI drives.  I have this
> machine I am building where the drive is SATA but it is recognized as my
> SD0 drive.
> Since F7 ALL hard drives are /dev/sdX. Alas Ubuntu uses /dev/hdX so it gets confusing :-)

    I would first get grub to boot both Linux systems. If your using the
Ubuntu grub I wish you luck. I'm about to delete Ubuntu from this
computer because it takes over the whole thing. And if I try to boot
Ubuntu from a Fedora grub it NEVER works :-(

    Then boot Windows and it should work fine because you did nothing to
Windows.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI