Fedora 8: X/Nautilus eating CPU

wwp subscript at free.fr
Tue Dec 4 07:35:16 UTC 2007

Hello Jonathan,

On Mon, 3 Dec 2007 23:58:16 +0000 "Jonathan Underwood" <jonathan.underwood at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 02/12/2007, wwp <subscript at free.fr> wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >

> > now that my Fedora 8 is fully set up, I notice periodical short
> > hangs of the Desktop, making its use quite uncomfortable. `top` tells me
> > that the X and Nautilus processes are eating up to 30% of CPU every
> > 15-20sec approximately (I can hear some disk activity as well).
> >
> > Sensors applets are configured to poll on a longer period basis so it's
> > probably not them. No cron activity has been set. Anyway, I was running
> > the same applets with my Fedora Core 5 and GNOME and never encountered
> > such behaviour before.
> >
> > For the record, nautilus-action is installed and there are few mounts
> > (USB disks) visible onto the Desktop. I've tried closing all apps (but
> > GNOME Desktop) and this still happens.
> >
> > Anybody has this too? Or any hint?
>
> Which kernel is this? I am seeing something similar with the recent
> 2.6.23.8-63 kernel.

2.6.23.1-49.fc8 here. I'm currently yum-update'ing and will check when
done.

The interesting fact is that I don't encounter the periodical hang
within XFCE or KDE, only from GNOME.

For the sake of the archives: a passive way to feel it is to watch at a
cpu monitor graph for one minute w/o doing anything else: you'll see
short activity peaks very 15sec. Another way is to constantly make use
of the window manager, like moving windows, changing workspace,
rolling/unrolling menus and you'll feel something not natural ;-).

Regards,

--
wwp