camera problem "could not claim usb device"

Frank Cox theatre at sasktel.net
Tue Dec 4 20:46:03 UTC 2007

I am trying to get a camera working on Fedora 7 and have what appears to be a
permission problem.

The "Import Photos" window comes up when I plug the camera in, but I
immediately get this error message:

QUOTE:
An error occurred in the i-o library ("Could not claim the USB device"): Could
not claim interface 0 (Operation not permitted).  Make sure no other program or
kernel module (such as sdc2xx, stv680, spca50x) is using the device and you
have read/write access to the device.
END OF QUOTE

lsusb shows me this:

Bus 005 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 002 Device 008: ID 04a9:30f9 Canon, Inc.
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 046d:c218 Logitech, Inc.
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

I suppose I could manually change the permission of /dev/bus/usb/002/008
whenever I use the camera, but I would really prefer to fix it the right way.