Slow file access

Rick Stevens rstevens at internap.com
Wed Dec 5 00:22:55 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-12-04 at 19:16 -0500, Claude Jones wrote:
> On Tue December 4 2007, Rick Stevens wrote:
> > > I did find this study, however:
> > >
> > > http://research.google.com/archive/disk_failures.pdf
> >
> > Interesting stuff on SMART itself at
> >
> >         http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/6983
> >
> > At least you'll know how to read those values.
>
> It's an interesting read, Rick, but, I recommend the Google study as a must
> read for those concerned with disk failure. It turns out SMART is not so
> smart. Further, there are some old shibboleths regarding heat that are
> questioned by the Google findings.
>
> There's only one sure fire protection against SDF (sudden disk failure) in my
> view, and it's called "backup-early-and-often"

Yup.  I have a couple of Terrastations for that purpose at home.  I also
burn tons of DVDs.  I wish I drank more and had stock in sheet cork
factories as I make (and thus have) lots and lots of coasters (data DVDs
>6 months old).  Last count about 50.  :-)

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens at internap.com -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc.                http://www.internap.com -
-       "I'd explain it to you, but your brain might explode."       -