NTP fails synchronization with server at startup

Rick Stevens rstevens at internap.com
Wed Dec 5 01:38:14 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-12-05 at 01:24 +0000, Paul Smith wrote:
> On Dec 4, 2007 11:49 PM, Steven Stern <subscribed-lists at sterndata.com> wrote:
> > > I have NTP configured to synchronize with a server at startup, but it
> > > always fails that as reported by F8 during the booting.
> > > Notwithstanding:
> > >
> > > # /sbin/service ntpd restart
> > > Shutting down ntpd:                                        [  OK  ]
> > > ntpd: Synchronizing with time server:                      [  OK  ]
> > > Starting ntpd:                                             [  OK  ]
> > > #
> > >
> > > Any ideas?
> >
> > How long after the network starts does ntpd start? The network
> > connection might not be quite there.  Maybe add a "sleep 10" to the ntpd
> > file in init.d?
>
> How can I add such a sleep? Should I add the line
>
> sleep 10
>
> at the end of the ntpd file?

I don't think that's the issue.  It appears the network's up.  If
you do

	service ntpd restart

does it come up properly?  If not, do you have iptables in the way?
NTP runs on TCP/UDP port 123.  You could try:

	service iptables stop
	service ntpd restart

If ntp comes up with that, then odds are iptables is blocking NTP
traffic and you need to run system-config-network to permit that
stuff through.

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens at internap.com -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc.                http://www.internap.com -
-     I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!       -