two firefox questions

tony.chamberlain at lemko.com tony.chamberlain at lemko.com
Wed Dec 5 19:11:42 UTC 2007

1. I have a linux centos machine. There is no audio card. I was using Logitech USB headphones.
 Worked fine. Then I found Logitech USB speakers and switched. Works pretty well. I just notice
 though if I use firefox with audio (e.g. via youtube) and then am done and later want to use xine
 xine won't work unless I exit firefox and pkill it because firefox seems to have the audio for itself.
 It is not even enough just to close the youtube window. Am I stuck with this?

2. We have two networks, a 192.168.5.X network and a 10.X.X.X network. Only the 192 can access
 the outside. My desk is on a 192.168.5 network. If I want to access something in the lab I have to
 ssh -X to 192.168.5.15/10.0.0.215 and run firefox there. Similarly if I am in the lab and want outside]
 access I have to ssh -X to 10.0.0.215/192.168.5.15 (same machine, I just switched the IPs) and run
 firefox. Problem is, say I am at my desk and ssh to that machine and then run firefox. Later I am in
 the lab and ssh to that machine. I try to run firefox and it says it is already running and I must first
 kill it before I can bring up a session. Then it kills the one from my desk. Isn't there a way to run
 multiple firefoxes without having to kill the one to start another?