OT: looking for file/folder encryption package that runs on Fedora and Windows

Claude Jones cjones at levitjames.com
Thu Dec 6 01:52:55 UTC 2007

On Wed December 5 2007, Robin Laing wrote:
> Mike wrote:
> >
> > I searched for something similar (had to be open source and cross
> > platform) about a year ago and the only thing I found was Truecrypt
> > (http://www.truecrypt.org).
> >
> > It doesn't fit your description exactly but may be useable.  I don't
> > think they have an RPM available for Fedora leaving you to compile from
> > source.  You have to recompile upon kernel upgrades too...
> >
> > -- Mike
>
> I found a site that makes rpms of TrueCrypt.  I wish it could be
> included in the extras.  I had a pain getting all the source files to
> compile TrueCrypt.
>
> http://rpmfarm.free.fr/7/i386/RPMS.farm/
>
> http://platformedia.blogspot.com/2007/07/truecrypt-43-on-fedora-7-build-fro
>m.html
>
> I was informed by one of our IT staff that there is now a way to get
> Ubuntu to encrypt home directories through synaptic.  I may have to move
> to Ubuntu for this.
>
> I want my whole Hard drive encrypted as well as user level encryption.
> I have done some reading about fuse and dm-crypt but have not had time
> to test.
>
> There are some howtos around on doing this.
>
> --
> Robin Laing

Thanks to all for your suggestions. I did find that gnupg was installed on my
machine already, and a simple right click on a file in Konqueror lead me to
an option to use a GUI to encrypt a file. Prior to doing that, I installed
GPA which opens a GUI that walks you through setting up a key and passphrase.
When I found the option to encrypt files in Konqueror, it offered the option
to use the key I'd generated with GPA and created a *.asc file. I'm still new
to all this, and did not have time to really plumb these capabilities...

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA