Fedora 8: X/Nautilus eating CPU

Tod Merley todbot88 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 11:43:46 UTC 2007

On Dec 6, 2007 1:39 AM, wwp <subscript at free.fr> wrote:
> Tod, all,
>

> On Wed, 5 Dec 2007 18:49:29 +0100 wwp <subscript at free.fr> wrote:
>
> [snip]
> > gtweakui (unchecked "Use nautilus to draw desktop") and the problem
> > doesn't show anymore (re-enabled and it shows again).
>
> Oh, noo, I thought I've won the fight but I didn't. If navigating the
> Desktop and switching between workspace is way faster/smoother when
> Nautilus is disabled (as comfortable as within XFCE in fact), it
> appears that I can reproduce the periodical short hangs now again.
> System is running for more than 48h now, and I got the short hangs this
> morning whereas I didn't yesterday evening after few hours running w/o
> Nautilus.
>
> I've unplugged as much hardware I could (all USB disks) and quit quite
> all applications too (X, gnome panel and applets remain, and my MUA),
> but it's still there.
>
> I'm afraid I don't know where to look, and what to look for. Tod, you
> suggested checking for resource conflicts, how to know if resources are
> conflicting from the output of lspci for instance?

Hi again wwp!

It yields a lot of information about what is there.  Sometimes you
find that things are competing for the same memory address space or
non-shareable IRQs .. etc.  You also have information about what you
have that is very helpful in Google searches.

I was thinking you may be using an older machine.  You have a very nice machine.

That understood I fall back to wondering if there are known problems
with your chip set, especially in respect to your hard drive and video
card. I note with interest that your video driver falls back to pci
mode rather than pcie (see: man radeon)  You may do well to look into
a new video driver (Google "Linux Ati X600 driver").  You may look
into whether a CMOS update is available.

Other than that, the problem seems to be related to the unit being on
for a long time?  If so, look for possible overheating (CPU
temperature, airflow restricted by wiring, long carpet, bad fan motor
or fan control SW...).  If still nothing, look into possible AC power
problems or computer battery problems.  You will probably solve the
problem long before you get to this paragraph.

Good Hunting!

Tod