Is Beagle a Good Thing?

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Fri Dec 7 06:22:01 UTC 2007

| From: Robin Laing <Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca>
                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^
Defence R&D Canada / R & D pour la défense Canada . Government of Canada

| One issue with all this pre-compiled database is it makes things easy for
| someone else to trace your actions.

Yeah.  Like the government :-) :-)

|  Maybe I am paranoid but I found that even
| "locate" can reveal to much information that I don't want easily found.

True.

| I want to start encrypting everything on the laptop and many files on the
| desktop.

In your business, it would seem like a given.  But perhaps not for
what you actually do.

Lack of encryption of exposed devices has recently gotten the UK
government in trouble.

The Privacy Commissioner of Ontario has also ordered that notebook
drives must be encrypted if they have "identifiable data" (what a
term!):  http://www.ipc.on.ca/index.asp?navid=55&fid1=607