Fedora 8: X/Nautilus eating CPU

wwp subscript at free.fr
Fri Dec 7 22:07:50 UTC 2007

Hello Tim,

On Fri, 07 Dec 2007 06:55:26 +1030 Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au>
wrote:

> On Thu, 2007-12-06 at 15:32 +0100, wwp wrote:
> > Hardware just works fine apparently. And if I swap the internal
> > hard-disk to the one on which my old FC5 system is used, I can't get
> > the periodical short hangs (tried for a couple of hours).
>
> That suggests a few possible things:
>
> A configuration issue that's different on the other drive.
>
> A hard drive hardware error that happens when some part of the drive is
> accessed, perhaps an area not normally accessed by you but periodically
> by a system task.  Try a smart test on the drive (man smartctl).
>
> Power supply issues.  Your computer power supply having a problem, that
> it doesn't work well enough all the time, and your two different hard
> drives having slightly different power requirements (enough to be a
> problem).

Thanks for your suggestions, Tim. Erm.. since it's not the same system
installed on both drives (one has FC5, the other has Fedora 8), it
could be anything in the installed software too, I'm afraid.

In another mail (Subject: Fedora 8: ipw2200 firmware error when back
after a short while of inactivity (D810)), I'm detailing how I got
other short hangs (more serious penalty, though), apparently related to
a Power Management option, by chance I've found how to avoid it but
it's maybe the visible part of the iceber only? Maybe not related too,
as I get it w/ a specific kernel version. Maybe, maybe not..

Regards,

--
wwp