Users and Groups

Frank Cox theatre at sasktel.net
Fri Dec 7 22:36:24 UTC 2007

On Fri, 07 Dec 2007 16:28:51 -0600
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:

>  Unix/Linux definitely does care if
> > you're local or remote when assigning console permissions as described above.
>
> No, fedora, udev, or some recent change cares about this.

You missed the "as described above" part of my previous reply.

>  Traditional
> unix would run on boxes with no concept of a local console and never
> changed permissions on anything, including the device nodes in /dev
> without being explicitly told to do so by someone with appropriate
> rights.

Perhaps, but feature modernization is one of the reasons why we use modern Linux
distributions now instead of AT&T Unix on green screens.  It's my understanding
that modern Unix derivatives also have a similar capability to distinguish a
local console from remote access terminals.  It may not work exactly the same
way, though; I'm reasonably sure the capability exists but am not familiar with
the actual mechanics, as it were.

> I understand the problem this tries to solve by guessing that
> someone near the attached keyboard might be the owner of the machine,
> but it makes the system very single-user-Microsoft-ish in my opinion.

It's a feature (see above) that you are free to use or not use as you see fit.
It would be quite simple for you to change the rulesets I initially pointed out
so they would do nothing at all, and that would emulate the old behaviour that
you prefer.