Users and Groups

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Fri Dec 7 23:43:44 UTC 2007

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Steve Searle wrote:
>
>>> I don't like to feel that Linux is not telling me something
>>> because it doesn't think it is good for me.
>> What, like hidden files?
>
> You mean, files whose names start with "."?
> I must say, that is not one of my favourite aspects of Unix.
> I was trying to think if it was always like that?
> (I go back to Unix edition 5.)
>
> But in this case it seemed to be suggested
> that one shouldn't see the whole of /etc/group
> as "you don't need to know about that".
> I like to decide for myself what I need to know.

It is more a matter of the defaults being geared for what most users
are going to want to see. There is a simple checkbox in preferences
to select if you see system users and groups. So you still get to
select what information is presented to you. I am not sure If I
agree with the default, at least for Fedora, but I guess it does
make it less likely for a new user to make a mistake. Then again, I
am comfortable with the CLI tools for managing users and groups.

Mikkel