Sound, Fedora 8, On Toshiba Satellite P107-S6147

Rick Stevens rstevens at internap.com
Sat Dec 8 00:13:59 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-12-07 at 18:56 -0500, Endy wrote:
> Karl Larsen wrote:
> > Robert L Cochran wrote:
> >> I have a Toshiba Satellite P105-S6147 laptop with a standard Fedora 8
> >> installation (except for the madwifi driver set) and the sound on it
> >> doesn't seem to work. I get kernel messages like this, and a Skype
> >> test call doesn't work.
> >>
> >> Dec  7 17:42:04 eng2 pulseaudio[2949]: alsa-util.c: Device hw:0
> >> doesn't support 44100 Hz, changed to 48000 Hz.
> >> Dec  7 17:42:04 eng2 pulseaudio[2949]: alsa-util.c: Device hw:0
> >> doesn't support 44100 Hz, changed to 48000 Hz.
> >> Dec  7 17:42:04 eng2 pulseaudio[2949]: alsa-util.c: Cannot find mixer
> >> control "Capture".
> >>
> >> Any suggestions for how to fix this?
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >>
> >> Bob Cochran
> >> Greenbelt, Maryland, USA
> >>

> >    First you must get Skype for Linux version 2.004 I think. Then in a
> > root terminal do
> >
> > yum remove alsa-plugins-pulseaudio
> >
> > When that is done your sound will come back.
> >
> > Karl
> >

> There is absolutely no reason to remove the alsa pulse audio plugin
> whatsoever.  Progams that require full access to the soundcard, such as
> skype and high end audio apps, can be run by running the "pasuspender"
> app to tell pulse audio to stop working until the app you want to run is
> done.  For skype the command would look like "pasuspender skype". This
> is something that has been brought up several times on the mailing list,
> and pasuspender is a FAR easier method of running the programs you want,
> rather than crippling the sound server like Karl thinks is a good idea.

I suggested taking pulseaudio out, not Karl.  Yes, pasuspender does
work, but it's annoying that should we need such a beastie.

While I applaud pa's attempt to manage conflicting access to the sound
hardware, I find its implementation rather clunky in that it currently
breaks too many legacy applications.  Yes, Fedora is "bleeding edge",
but it should be reasonably functional as well.

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens at internap.com -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc.                http://www.internap.com -
-   You possess a mind not merely twisted, but actually sprained.    -