large disk space problem?

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Sun Dec 9 05:16:29 UTC 2007

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

>> Then you mount it (e.g. man fstab &/or man mount).
>>
> It looks like the drive is already one big partition with an ext3
> file system on it, but it is only shown as being 9.2G. It almost
> looks like the partition was resized but the file system wasn't. If
> it didn't already have 5.3G of data on it, it would be tempting to
> delete and recreate the file system.
>
> Mikkel

Mikkel looks closest so far to me.

Unmount the partition.
run e2fsck:
e2fsck -n /dev/sdb1

That's a read-only test.

If that looks okay, then
man resize2fs
resize2fs <whatever seems good> /dev/sdb1

if that wants you you to e2fsck with more options, do it, then try again.

Mount the partition again, then
\df -h /media/disk-1
and see whether it looks better.

I can only guess at how you got that partition's data that way.
a. Copy a drive over like so:
dd if=/dev/diskb of=/dev/diskc
but that doesn't explain the partition's size.
b. Partition to one big partition, then copy some data thus:
dd if=/dev/diskb1 of=/dev/diskc1
which could leave a filesystem that doesn't fill the partition.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait