Is ECC memory any use?

Chris Snook csnook at redhat.com
Sun Dec 9 09:45:44 UTC 2007

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> I'm getting memory for a very old (P2B-LS) Asus motherboard,
> and I see I can get ECC memory for some 20% more.
>
> Is there any point in getting this?
> I see there is quite a lot of work
> in getting ECC testing incorporated into the Linux kernel.
> But even if it were there, would it be very valuable?
>
> I have a feeling that disk errors are far more likely
> than RAM errors.
> Is that right?

Depends who's buying.  Few people do anything on "personal" systems that really
justifies ECC RAM, though I'm sure the exceptions are probably on this list.  If
you're doing any kind of business work where uptime is important, or any kind of
technical work where bit flips could cause nasty side effects, it's probably
worth buying the ECC, unless you're doing high-end graphics where a stray pixel
won't make a difference and most of your power budget is going to the GPUs.

	-- Chris