Why are all multimedia producers packages missing?

lostson lostson at lostsonsvault.org
Sun Dec 9 14:24:08 UTC 2007

On Sunday 09 December 2007 07:54:35 am David Boles wrote:
> Nico Sabbi wrote:
> > Trying to install DVDstyler I realized that Fedora lacks
> > all multimedia packages able to produce content
> > such as: ffmpeg, mjpegtools, mpgtx, dvdstyler, qdvdauthor, avidemux
> > and many more, that is a shame.
> > Is it a deliberate choice?
> > Mandriva has all of them
>
> And another round starts. <sigh>
>

> From Fedora wiki - FAQ
>
> Why doesn't Fedora include support for proprietary formats like MP3 or
> MPEG?
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2gvu5m
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FAQ#head-b04c931c017de3facba9c69207925234df3c
>2232
>

> --
>

>   David

 Fedora does not come with any proprietary codecs or formats, things like mp3
avi yadda yadda. If you want to use these I would suggest going to here

 http://rpm.livna.org/rlowiki/

 Getting the Fedora 8 repository Rpm and installing it then adding the things
you need from there. For instance if using rythmbox or Exaile you will want
to do a

 yum install gstreamer-plugins-ugly

 or if you are using amarok

 yum install amarok-extras-nonfree