Why are all multimedia producers packages missing?

Abhishek Rane abhishekrane at gmail.com
Sun Dec 9 14:56:37 UTC 2007

lostson wrote:
> On Sunday 09 December 2007 07:54:35 am David Boles wrote:
>
>> Nico Sabbi wrote:
>>
>>> Trying to install DVDstyler I realized that Fedora lacks
>>> all multimedia packages able to produce content
>>> such as: ffmpeg, mjpegtools, mpgtx, dvdstyler, qdvdauthor, avidemux
>>> and many more, that is a shame.
>>> Is it a deliberate choice?
>>> Mandriva has all of them
>>>
>> And another round starts. <sigh>
>>

>> From Fedora wiki - FAQ
>>
>> Why doesn't Fedora include support for proprietary formats like MP3 or
>> MPEG?
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/2gvu5m
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FAQ#head-b04c931c017de3facba9c69207925234df3c
>> 2232
>>

>> --
>>

>>   David
>>

>  Fedora does not come with any proprietary codecs or formats, things like mp3
> avi yadda yadda. If you want to use these I would suggest going to here
>
>  http://rpm.livna.org/rlowiki/
>
>  Getting the Fedora 8 repository Rpm and installing it then adding the things
> you need from there. For instance if using rythmbox or Exaile you will want
> to do a
>
>  yum install gstreamer-plugins-ugly
>
>  or if you are using amarok
>
>  yum install amarok-extras-nonfree
>
>  It is entirely up to you .

also an addition to the above reply
here is the process how to download and install the livna repo
1)import the gpg keys

sudo <http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-f8.html#sudo> rpm --import /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/*

2)Download the repo link <http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release-8.rpm>
3)install the repo >> sudo rpm -ivh http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release-8.rpm
4)get the GPG key sudo rpm --import /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-livna

source :http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-f8.html#install

I think you should check out this site
<http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-f8.html> first before
installing any codecs randomly...
also this link <http://www.gagme.com/greg/linux/f8-tips.php> might be
helpful

Yes and fedora is completely free and that is what makes it so
special....no copy protected stuff nothing..PURE FOSS PRODUCT..and
inspite of all  that the GUI is one of the best i guess
initially even I faced these problems but the links i have given are
enuf to install almost every codec & driver needed ....

Good Luck!