audio gone since upgrade to F8

stan goedigi89__e at cox.net
Sun Dec 9 16:36:27 UTC 2007

Huub wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently upgraded from FC6 to F8 and find my audio is gone. The
> speaker symbol is still there but has a cross through it. Any option
> to manage sound is gone as well.
> lspci gives this for audio, so I know it's there:
>
> 00:06.0 Multimedia audio controller: nVidia Corporation nForce3 250Gb
> AC'97 Audio Controller (rev a1)
>
> Anyone a clue on how to solve it?
>
> Thanks.

Try aplay -lLv to see what alsa thinks is available.

Then aplay -Dplughw:0,0 some.wav to see if you can play directly through
alsa.

I saw problems with esound being automatically enabled in F8 when it was
in rawhide.
esdctl off

I also needed nothing that pulseaudio provided and couldn't get it to
work.  I admit I didn't
try very hard. ;-)

yum remove alsa-plugins-pulseaudio

If it works after this you know it is pulseaudio related and can go from
there.
If it comes up with another error you can search yum packages to see if
it is
available

yum list all | grep -i "part_of_packagename"  e.g. pulse or alsa, etc.