cups & ppd file question

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Sun Dec 9 21:32:57 UTC 2007

Just curious: If you modify your printer's .ppd file
(over in /etc/cups/ppd/), do you need to restart the
cups service for the changes to take effect? Or does
it reread the file on every printout anyway? (Or
something in between?)

I just installed a new printer recently and went through
a zillion iterations of the alignmargins script (from
the open printing web site) to get the margins tweaked
and I was wondering if I did more work than I had
to (I was always restarting cups based on general
paranoia :-).