Incredible F8 updates : DEFEAT & CAVEAT

David Boles dgboles at gmail.com
Sun Dec 9 21:51:17 UTC 2007

Beartooth wrote:
> On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 10:47:58 -0500, David Boles wrote:
>

> 	It's not a question of the install but of updating adding and
> removing; nor of fault, but of precautions. My point was that one of
> those GUIs is new, and effectively pushes itself on the unwary.
>
> 	<sigh> I'm not the first nor the only one here to find it's
> always the point the writer took to be most obvious which somehow fails
> to get across. Let me try again.
>
> 	The new pirut version *forces* me to do *something* -- until I
> get rid of that default to medium, pirut will fail me.
>
> 	Yet pirut's virtue is to update in greater detail than yum.
> Remember that pirut is a *second* step -- the one *after* running yum
> update -- certainly for me, and likely for many if not most. I gave
> examples.
>
> 	So when I invoke pirut for the very first time after an install
> -- a fresh install -- there are already things on the machine that were
> not on the medium, or were less up to date, or both.
>
> 	But pirut calls for my install medium again! To get it not to, I
> get a new and uncommented list of choices.
>
> 	I have to make *some* choices. So I try some. *One* of them, not
> there before and without warning, trashes my system -- just as
> effectively as the things anaconda warns against, such as doing a fresh
> install -- and I had no way of knowing it could be *that* bad, except the
> hard way.

Ah. I see now.

It, Pirut, *forced* you to put the DVD in the drive (a feature that
many, many asked for - to be able to still install from the original
Install-Media) or to disable the 'Install-Media' (which would be that
same DVD)?

So where does that *force you* to enable some, or many, other repos?
Ones with strange, unknown, not sure of, names to you. None of which are
familiar to you. The ones that you looked at, or should have looked at,
and wondered  - what the heck is that? The ones that you should have
thought - Fedora default disabled these, they might be 'not for the
regular user' - so I should find out what they are before using them.
The ones that you did not know about but that you blindly enabled anyway?

It's called 'shooting yourself in the foot' sir. Honestly.

Reminds me of the story of the two street kids.

First one is holding something.
Second one asks "Where did you get that?"

First one says "I stole it!"
Second one asks "what is that?"
First one says "Don't know."

Second one asks "What are you going to do with it?"
First one answers "Don't know."

Second one asks "Then why did you steal it?"
First one answers "Because it was shiny!"

All due respect sir. If you are going to use Linux, especially a afast
paced distribution such as Fedora, follow this rule.

Learn first - change later.

I'm sorry that you had this problem. But only sorry. Becasue you did it
yourself by doing something without really knowing what you were doing.

I repeat - Learn first - change later.

Now. All of that said. *If* you wish to solve this problem, for you, you
should report it to bugzilla. Not as a bug but as perhaps an RFE. The
'Install-Media' repo should be, in your thinking defaulted to off
instead of defaulted on. I would suggest that you ask Rahul just how to
do this. He would know. Or know how to find out.

Good luck.
- --

  David