Incredible F8 updates : DEFEAT & CAVEAT

Robert L Cochran cochranb at speakeasy.net
Sun Dec 9 22:01:22 UTC 2007

Beartooth Sciurivore wrote:
> On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 15:30:21 -0500, Robert L Cochran wrote:
>

>> Why not just do a clean install of Fedora and be happy with the yum
>> update defaults? Don't change them if doing so will cause you such
>> distress. They work most of the time (although Fedora 8 seems to have a
>> yum-updatesd issue that you can fix by turning it off in chkconfig,
>> rebooting the machine, and then doing a manual 'yum update' from the
>> command line.
>>

> 	Because, as I keep saying, I run pirut. Repeatedly. There are a
> lot of things -- like *all* games, *all* chat software, and anything
> connected with television -- which I don't want, and which yum won't
> remove. There are also a few that I do run, but either can't get from
> yum, or know the names of only well enough to recognize them when I see
> them. Pirut lets me make those changes.

I have loads of software installed that I will never use, or will use
only rarely. Some of these packages are needed by other packages that I
do use. To me it is a "so what?" thing -- disk space is mighty cheap and
the software isn't hurting me by being there unused. I just focus on the
things I really want to do and I don't worry about the rest as long as
it doesn't pester me and it doesn't interfere with my own work. For
instance I have Ekiga and Internet Messenger installed. They are fine
just being there. I don't have to use them -- they do not stop me from
working with MySQL in any way which does interest me.

I don't know if installfests are done any more -- but attending one and
talking to the folks who do them can be worth every minute of your time
since they have great expertise in Fedora and its tools. I could benefit
from such a trip myself.

Bob