FC4 -> FC8: anaconda looping?

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sun Dec 9 23:08:43 UTC 2007

Mike Yates writes:

> Sam Varshavchik wrote:
>>
>> You can reinstall them after the upgrade, and after you've updated the
>> core Fedora 8 install with all the current updates.
>>

> OK, but what an issue!
> Does it apply to FC7 too?

I don't recall this cropping up until F8.

> That looks ridiculously laborious.
> Maybe easier to build a new system off-line and switch over to it.

Whatever works for you.

> # rpm -qa | wc -l
> 1672
> # rpm -qa | grep fc4 | wc -l
> 259

That does not tell you much. Only a small portion of packages have 'fc4' in
their release label.

> Is there a tool to search the repositories for all those 1,413 which are
> not obviously FC4 ?

Most of those 1413 packages are most certainly FC4. It's very unusual to
have more than 20-30 packages installed from non-Fedora repositories.

Most non-Fedora repositories have their own release naming convention. If
you have Livna set up, most of their packages have "lvn" as part of the
release name.

Doing this search "backwards" will likely give more accurate results.