kalarm - week starting day

Erik P. Olsen erik at epo.dk
Sun Dec 9 23:28:23 UTC 2007

Frank Cox wrote:
> On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 17:09:42 -0500
> David Boles <dgboles at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> KDE has always defaulted to 'first day to the week is Monday' in any
>> distribution that I have seen. So this is *not* a Fedora problem but a
>> KDE default. You should question there. KDE.
>
> kalarm defaults to Monday.
>
> kdebase defaults to Sunday.
>
> The problem is that those are different.  I would have expected them both to
> default to Sunday, or both default to Monday.  The behaviour changes depending
> on whether kdebase is installed or not -- kalarm on its own defaults to Monday
> but that magically changes to Sunday as soon as kdebase is installed.

I suspect that kalarm in the absence of kcontrol uses a hardcoded default. In my
country, Denmark, the week starts on Mondays so that could be the explanation if
the programmer comes from such a country. Apparently kcontrol looks at the
locale and sets the week starting day accordingly which kalarm in turn respects.

This looks more like a documentation bug and bad coding habit.

--
Erik.