audio gone since upgrade to F8

stan goedigi89__e at cox.net
Sun Dec 9 23:50:09 UTC 2007

Huub wrote:
>> Try aplay -lLv to see what alsa thinks is available.
>
> as root:
>
> default:CARD=CK8S
>     NVidia CK8S, NVidia CK8S
>     Default Audio Device
> front:CARD=CK8S,DEV=0
>     NVidia CK8S, NVidia CK8S
>     Front speakers
> surround40:CARD=CK8S,DEV=0
>     NVidia CK8S, NVidia CK8S
>     4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
> surround41:CARD=CK8S,DEV=0
>     NVidia CK8S, NVidia CK8S
>     4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
> surround50:CARD=CK8S,DEV=0
>     NVidia CK8S, NVidia CK8S
>     5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
> surround51:CARD=CK8S,DEV=0
>     NVidia CK8S, NVidia CK8S
>     5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
> null
>     Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
> default:CARD=UART
>     MPU-401 UART
>     Default Audio Device
> card 0: CK8S [NVidia CK8S], device 0: Intel ICH [NVidia CK8S]
>   Subdevices: 1/1
>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> card 0: CK8S [NVidia CK8S], device 2: Intel ICH - IEC958 [NVidia CK8S
> - IEC958]
>   Subdevices: 1/1
>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>

>> Then aplay -Dplughw:0,0 some.wav to see if you can play directly
>> through alsa.
>
> Yes, that works but only as root.
>

>> I saw problems with esound being automatically enabled in F8 when it
>> was in rawhide.
>> esdctl off
>>
>> I also needed nothing that pulseaudio provided and couldn't get it to
>> work.  I admit I didn't
>> try very hard. ;-)
>>
>> yum remove alsa-plugins-pulseaudio
>>
>> If it works after this you know it is pulseaudio related and can go
>> from there.
>> If it comes up with another error you can search yum packages to see
>> if it is
>> available
>>
>> yum list all | grep -i "part_of_packagename"  e.g. pulse or alsa, etc.
>>

> Didn't remove alsa-plugins-pulseaudio yet. Any more suggestions?

Alsa is happy.  It is finding the card and setting it up properly.
You have a permissions problem.  Aplay should work for any user.  Is
SELinux running in enforcing mode?
Somehow the sound setup has been corrupted.  I am not sure how to
resolve this.  Perhaps someone else can help you.
You might try searching the list as I saw this exactly problem recently
(go to www.gmane.org which archives lists and they
have a search capability)

Good luck.