ATI Radeon 3850 & Envision 775e Monitor

Raymond C. Rodgers rh at bbnk.dhs.org
Mon Dec 10 04:12:52 UTC 2007

After more than two weeks of part time  struggling, I managed to get
ATI/AMD's proprietary FGLRX driver installed and configured to work with
my Envision 775e monitor, but I know for a fact that things are not
idea. For one thing, I had to force the vertical refresh rate and
horizontal sync in xorg.conf to be less than factory specs. And while I
can now get a few resolutions (1280x1024, 1280x720, 1152x864, etc.) I'm
limited to a maximum refresh rate of 60 hz, and scrolling down a long
web page shows a horrible amount of lag. Not to mention that compiz is
acting up (it will enable, but I only get a blank white screen with a
black arrow cursor I can move around, alt-tab will show me icons for
various apps, but I don't actually get to see anything on any of them
until I click around and manage to disable Desktop Effects).

With regards to the Radeon 3850, is any one else having better luck
under Fedora?

With regards to the Envision 775e, is it likely that the monitor is
malfunctioning or do I need to use a set of ranges other than the
factory specs to get better performance without getting the dreaded "Out
of Range" on screen message?

I've attached a copy of my hacked up xorg.conf for your review.

Thanks,
Raymond