FC4 -> FC8 upgrade problem with fstab label

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Mon Dec 10 04:52:53 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-12-09 at 22:34 -0600, Joe Hahn wrote:
> I'd like to upgrade my rather dated Fedora Core 4 system to FC8.
> However my upgrade attempt is halted by the message:
>
> error mounting hda5 as /disc54
> no such device or address
> devices in /etc/fstab should be specified by label, not by device name
>
> Any suggestions as to how my fstab should be revised? Below is my fstab:
>
> LABEL=/              /                          ext3    defaults        1 1
> LABEL=/boot        /boot                   ext3    defaults        1 2
> none                    /dev/pts               devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
> none                    /dev/shm             tmpfs   defaults        0 0
> /dev/hda5            /disc54                 ext3    defaults        1 2
> #LABEL=/disc54     /disc54              ext3    defaults        1 2
> none                   /proc                    proc    defaults        0 0
> none                   /sys                     sysfs   defaults        0 0
> /dev/hda3            swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
----
one of who things bit you...

partitions must be labeled, looks like your partitions are labeled but I
am including here for completeness...(started Fedora 7)

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/release-notes/f7/en_US/sn-Installer.html#Upgrade-Related-Issues

drives are no longer using /dev/hdX designations, but using /dev/sdX
designations (probably have to edit /etc/fstab and /boot/grub/grub.conf
by booting in 'linux rescue mode' and fixing these files)

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/release-notes/f8/en_US/sn-Installer.html#sn-Changes-in-Anaconda

The latter appears to be your issue

Craig