kalarm - week starting day

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Mon Dec 10 11:42:52 UTC 2007

David Boles wrote:

> John Summerfield wrote:
>> David Boles wrote:
>>

>> Developer groups such as KDE do not track what packagers do; part of the
>> responsibility that Fedora, Red Hat, *suse, Debian accept when they
>> repackage software is to filter software bugs.
>>
>> if the problem is not due to the process of repackaging, then _they_
>> refer the problem upstream to the developer, often with a patch.
>>
>> A reasonable response from the KDE team in this case would be, "Take it
>> to your distributor. We don't know what they have done to it."
>>

>> Frank already explained that it's inconsistent. You should have read the
>
> *But*, John, it is a KDE 'thing' and not a fedora 'thing'. I have seen
> the same thing happen in KDE specific distributions *without* the hated
> GNOME anywhere near. Mandrake comes to mind.

Almost certainly, Fedora has changed KDE. Here is the list of files in a
kdebase src.rpm:
20:39 [summer at numbat ~]$ rpm -qlp
/net/ns/var/local/mirrors/linux/RHEL/4/updates/SRPMS/kdebase-3.3.1-5.13.src.rpm
warning:
/net/ns/var/local/mirrors/linux/RHEL/4/updates/SRPMS/kdebase-3.3.1-5.13.src.rpm:
Header V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID db42a60e
KDE.session.gnome
kcmnspluginrc
kde-libtool.patch
kde-np
kde-redhat-config-3.2.0-0.6.tar.bz2
kde.desktop
kdebase-3.0-shortcuts.patch
kdebase-3.0.4-kdesukonsole.patch
kdebase-3.1-ssl-krb5.patch
kdebase-3.1-startpage.patch
kdebase-3.1.1-usb.patch
kdebase-3.1.3-konsole-double-esc.patch
kdebase-3.1.93-aboutkde.patch
kdebase-3.1.93-monospace.patch
kdebase-3.1.93-starthere.patch
kdebase-3.1.93-vroot.patch
kdebase-3.1.95-config.patch
kdebase-3.2.0-keymap.patch
kdebase-3.2.0-kickermenu.patch
kdebase-3.2.0-motif.patch
kdebase-3.2.0-selinux.patch
kdebase-3.2.2-konsole-setInputMethodEnabled-20040525.diff
kdebase-3.2.2-nedit.patch
kdebase-3.2.2-pie.patch
kdebase-3.2.2-urandom.patch
kdebase-3.2.92-kpersonalizer.patch
kdebase-3.2.92-logo.patch
kdebase-3.3.0-altf2.patch
kdebase-3.3.0-kioslave.patch
kdebase-3.3.0-klipper.patch
kdebase-3.3.1-cvs.patch
kdebase-3.3.1-kcheckpass.patch
kdebase-3.3.1-kdeprintfax.patch
kdebase-3.3.1-kfind.patch
kdebase-3.3.1-kio_fish-bz#177743.patch
kdebase-3.3.1-klipper-bz#169459.patch
kdebase-3.3.1-kmenu-close-after-drop.patch
kdebase-3.3.1-kxkb.patch
kdebase-3.3.1-largefile.patch
kdebase-3.3.1-man.patch
kdebase-3.3.1-redhat.patch
kdebase-3.3.1-servicebutton-saveas.patch
kdebase-3.3.1-sidebar.patch
kdebase-3.3.1-systray-bz182452.patch
kdebase-3.3.1.tar.bz2
kdebase-3.4.1-pam.patch
kdebase.spec
konsole.desktop
mailsettings.cc
post-3.3.0-kdebase-kdm.diff
post-3.3.1-kdebase-smb.diff
post-3.3.2-kdebase-htmlframes2.patch
start-here.png
20:39 [summer at numbat ~]$

It's probable that the KDE project supports almost none of those
patches.  they will be interested in two versions: their current stable
version, and their development version. if you want more support than
that, use someone else's versions. Fedora maybe.

> If whoever deals with KDE for Fedora 'fixes' this catastrophic error in
> Fedora the other poor unfortunate users of KDE in other distributions
> will still suffer from this tragically, terrible 'wrong day' problem.

Not so. I fully expect that the Fedora Project will fix it, and if it's
a KDE problem then contribute the patch upstream.

> That's why I suggested that he write to KDE's bugzilla. Or even to the
> Fedora bugzilla. Speaking here, on a 'help me please list' sure as heck

bugzilla.redhat.com is the correct place to report a bug. This is a good
place to discuss it and try to decide what is going wrong, maybe where,
and what the desired behaviour is.

--

Cheers
John