F8 Network Woe

Jonathan Allen jonathan at barumtrading.co.uk
Mon Dec 10 18:08:52 UTC 2007

On Mon, Dec 10, 2007 at 05:36:22PM +0000, mike cloaked wrote:

> I would switch off NM altogether -
> use
> service NetworkManager stop
> chkconfig NetworkManager off
> service NetworkManagetDispatcher stop
> chkconfig NetworkManagetDispatcher off

All done, as you suggested ...

> That way it will be stopped in your current system and will not
> restart after re-booting

Indeed, it didn't restart on boot, but neither did the network.  During
the 'init' time it produced the familiar message:

   Error, some other host already uses address 192.168.1.6 [FAILED]

and didn't bring the network up.  However, as soon as it was up:

   # ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.6 up
   # route add default fw 192.168.1.126 eth0

brought everything on-line.  Now why won't it do it during the book sequence
and why does it stil think someone else is using the IP address.  I can't
find (ie using grep) "192.168" anywhere in sysconfig/* or sysconfig/*/*
except for the specific instances in ifcfg-eth0

Jonathan