wifi networks

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Mon Dec 10 23:07:19 UTC 2007

Francois wrote:
> Hi,
> Running FC6 on one machine and F7 on another one (both laptops), I would
> like to know if there is a tool to check the availability of wifi networks.
> I use KDE as desktop manager. I have knetworkmanager on one, but it doesn't
> work at all. Thanks. Francois

For serious snooping, use kismet. I don't know whether it's accessible
via usual Fedora repos, but it is a seriously handy diagnostic (and
snooping) tool.

iwlist tells you what it can see at this instant. kismet tells you what
it's seen, can announce (by synthetic speech) new stations, it can
uncloak hidden stations etc etc.

--

Cheers
John