It Works fine... System lockups with F8 and Firefox

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Mon Dec 10 23:28:54 UTC 2007

Jeff Krebs wrote:
> * Karl Larsen (k5di at zianet.com) wrote:
>
>> Jeff Krebs wrote:

>>> I will mark this down on my calendar, and ensure that it's engraved in
>>> stone to pass down to historians.  Such a feat was certainly unthinkable
>>> :)

>>> How do you know that you have a root kit?
>>>

>>> Jeff Krebs
>>>

>>    I really do not know Jeff. But often, while using Firefox I get an
>> attack that puts a cross hatch screen on and removes the keyboard and
>> mouse, and puts a single tone out the audio channels and only a hard reset
>> will clear it.
>>
>>    This is how I think a rootkit would work and so I got rkhunter and right
>> now I am trying to get it to check /home but have not found out how to do
>> this :-)
>>
>> Karl
>>

> I don't think that's a rootkit.
>
> Sounds like a nasty lockup to me.
>
> Have you updated your system since initial install?  My experience with
> lockups usually involves upgrading the kernel; either things go screwey
> after a kernel update (not common), or things are haywire until an
> update.
>
> You could also have a hardware issue too.  Memory can be checked with
> "memtest86".  Motherboards?  Dunno.  Could be a bios update is needed.
>
> Oh, and let's change the topic a bit...
>
> Jeff Krebs

    Thanks for the Subject change! I am at a loss to explain the
problem. But I had an attack while just on F8 without the F7 old my
login I have been using. So I think now no rootkit.

    It could be xorg or it could be a lot of things. But will plan to
continue to trace it down. It is quite a drag.

Karl
PS: will check the things you mention right now.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User