Possible Rooktit (was Re: It Works fine)

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Mon Dec 10 23:38:07 UTC 2007

Steven Stern wrote:
> Karl Larsen wrote:
>> Jeff Krebs wrote:

>>> I will mark this down on my calendar, and ensure that it's engraved
>>> in stone to pass down to historians.  Such a feat was certainly
>>> unthinkable :)

>>> How do you know that you have a root kit?
>>>

>>> Jeff Krebs
>>>

>>    I really do not know Jeff. But often, while using Firefox I get an
>> attack that puts a cross hatch screen on and removes the keyboard and
>> mouse, and puts a single tone out the audio channels and only a hard
>> reset will clear it.
>>
>>    This is how I think a rootkit would work and so I got rkhunter and
>> right now I am trying to get it to check /home but have not found out
>> how to do this :-)
>>
>> Karl
>>

> The rootkits I've seen are very quiet. They survive by NOT doing
> noticeable things.  The quietly install servers or bots in obscure
> corners of the system in hidden directories.  What you have sounds
> more like a cat playing in the wires under the desk. (I have personal
> experience with that, too).
>
> What does chkrootkit show?

    I don't have chkrootkit but what I have is hard to get working as I
wanted to check /home. I can't seem to make that work. It did check /usr
and found some "warning" but the FAQ says they do not mean anything.

    My cat stays out of my office, most of the time.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User