Why cant I make my laptop ethernet cards recognise 10Mbs?

Duncan Berriman duncan at dcl.co.uk
Tue Dec 11 16:37:01 UTC 2007

I've had the opposite and someone had hard coded the connection speed.

The supplier had put the following in rc.local

ethtool -s eth0 speed 10 duplex full autoneg off

When I upgraded to 100M the network failed as the isp failed to remove the
offending config (which I knew nothing about nor tell me about it). Once I
removed this everything started working ok.

I guess you could try the above to try and force it to 10M.

Duncan

believed to be clean.