tty permissions (was Users and Groups)

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Tue Dec 11 21:45:02 UTC 2007

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Tim wrote:
>
>> Just out of curiousity, I did a "ll /dev/tty*" and saw a strange mixture
>> of ownership:
>>

> <----------------------------[ SNIP ]--------------------------->
>

>> Various "tty"s were owned by root:tty if they had a double-digit number,
>> or root:root if otherwise.  The "ttyS"s were owned by root:uucp (this
>> box only has one or two serial ports - one's external, and I can't
>> remember if there is an internal one).
>>
>> I know tty and ttyS aren't the same thing, but it seems an odd mixture.
>>

> A big part of it is that there are programs that are using
> /dev/tty[0-7] and /dev/tty. These are the different virtual
> consoles. Normally, if no-one if logged in, tty1 through tty6 have
> mingetty running on them, running as root. In run level 5, tty7
> normally will have a display manager running until someone logs in.
>
> Try doing a command line login as a normal user, and look at the tty
> that matched the VT number. It will be owned by that user that just
> logged in. If you change the number of command line logins, or have
> more then one X secession running, you will change the
> ownership/permissions on a different number of the ttys. Ownership
> can also be changed because they are being used by other programs. I
> like to use a couple of ttys to display different outputs of
> syslogd. They can also be handy to display the error output of a
> program under test.
>
> Now, as you noted, the /dev/ttyS* are different. These are physical
> serial ports, not virtual ports. (Though there may be more device
> entries then there are physical ports.) Exactly how the permissions
> are set depends on the version of Fedora, and how you have
> console.perms set. If you desire, you can set a serial port to be
> owned by the person logged into the console. It is also possible to
> have a symlink to a serial port and have the symlink managed by
> console.perms.
>
> Mikkel

    After reading man console.perms it is clear that joining the uucp
Group is faster and works. The man page is short and is way over my head
in jargon, and it says do not modify consol.perms but put what you want
in console.perms.d file.

No help on what to put IN console.perms.d......

Also if others have been looking for console.perms it is in
/etc/security/    :-)

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User