list subject

M. Fioretti mfioretti at nexaima.net
Tue Dec 11 23:16:02 UTC 2007

On Tue, Dec 11, 2007 14:29:36 PM -0600, Les Mikesell (lesmikesell at gmail.com) wrote:

> >>But if you buy a new one
> >
> >if you _have_ the money, you mean? (see the kindness part). Duh
>
> I understand your point,

No, it's evident you don't. If the one biggest monitor you can afford
is one that has no space for extra stuff like longest headers, wasting
more bucks and throwing away a monitor which still works perfectly
just to avoid proper configuration of your email environment doesn't
look a smart or polite suggestion. So this part of the discussion
really ends here, as far as I'm concerned, don't expect any reply.

Let's stick to strictly technical issues, as those are much more
relevant to the list than this specific attitude of yours.

> >2) A practical suggestion: I know for sure, because I did some research
> >   some time ago but can't find the file right now, that there are
> >   several scripts for semi-automatic management of IMAP local or
> >   remote folders. Your best bet is to look if they can talk to Gmail
> >   to rewrite the subjects there, move messages from the inbox to
> >   another inbox rewriting the subject on the fly, something like
> >   this. Let us know if this work, and good luck.
> Wouldn't imap client operations have to be configured exactly the
> same on every client (assuming they support the same operations) or
> you'd have to be very careful which one hits the mailbox first?

No, if you do it right and the IMAP server lets you do it. What I am
suggesting is:

SMTP server drops everything in one mailbox, let's call it A

a script you write once, with the tools mentioned above, runs every
minute from one of your computers to do this:

	for every message in A
		get the message from IMAP server

		modify its subject if List-Id header == 'fedora'

		tell the IMAP server to put modified copy in mailbox B

Once this works, you point every client you have to mailbox B, and B
only.

Mapping this to Gmail is left as exercise for the reader, but if it
_is_ IMAP, it should work. It should also be less work than it seems,
because some of those scripts come with ready examples of periodical
automated backups from IMAP server to IMAP server, and this is the
same kind of problem, with just the "modify subject" bit added in the
right position.

HTH,
	Marco

--
Help *everybody* love Free Standards and Free Software!
http://digifreedom.net