SELinux enforcing, an external ntfs-3g mount, Samba and Fedora 8

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Dec 12 02:01:00 UTC 2007

Craig White:
>>> Mount the disk with uid/gid that you want.

Tim:
>> Without some sort of additional user mapping between which user is which
>> on Windows versus Linux, I can't see how you could avoid that.

Craig White:
> I don't understand your point.
>
> I know that a fat/vfat mount doesn't understand posix attributes and
> they cannot be stored on the filesystem so the uid/gid is declared at
> the time of mounting (or if undeclared, root:root because only root can
> mount the filesystem unless designated otherwise, i.e. by hal or within
> fstab).

Ownership, not permissions.

On Windows, users Tim, Fred, and Barney save their files, and their
files are owned by themselves, with the Windows filing system knowing
the association between files and particular users.

Linux uses a different user identifier system.  It can tell that *those*
Windows files are owned by three different people.  But without some
mapping that says user 500 on Linux is Tim, and user X on Windows is the
same Tim, and so on for the other users, there isn't a way for each
users files to be owned by the same users on both systems.

Dismounting and remounting the drive with the next user owning all the
files is a mess, and useless for multi-user systems where there actually
are multiple users using it at the same time.

Removable media is a bigger pain.  You can plug it into systems which
have completely different users.

--
[tim at bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.23.1-10.fc7 i686 i386