audio gone since upgrade to F8

Frank Chiulli frankc.fedora at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 03:44:29 UTC 2007

On Dec 9, 2007 4:09 PM, Paulo Cavalcanti <promac at gmail.com> wrote:

> > I would seriously suggest removing pulseaudio, as many folks have had
> problems
> > with it, including myself, whereas sound was working on previous Fedora
> > versions. You can always reinstall alsa-plugins-pulseaudio once you get
> the
> > sound working again.
> >

> There is no need to remove pulseaudio.
>
> Just create a file ~/.asoundrc with
> the contents below, and pulseaudio will
> no longer be the default. No need to reboot
> or logout. Just restart any application (e.g., xmms).
>
> By the way, the default is set in /etc/alsa/pulse- default.conf,
> and this is why pulseaudio is a global default.
>

> pcm.!default {
>     type hw
>     card 0
> }
>
> ctl.!default {
>     type hw
>     card 0
> }
>

> By the way, I like pulseaudio very much, but I have two sound cards.
> With pulse, I can control my cards on the fly without having to change
> my .asoundrc (how I used to do before).
>
> -
> Paulo Roma Cavalcanti
> LCG - UFRJ
> --

Frank,
I've been playing around and found something interesting.

After I logon to Gnome, I try
     aplay -l

I get
     aplay: device_list:205: no soundcards found...

Now if I switch to a virtual console (Alt-Ctl-F2) and login.  If I try,
     aplay -l

I get
card 0: Live [SBLive! Value [CT4832]], device 0: emu10k1 [ADC
Capture/Standard PCM Playback]
  Subdevices: 32/32
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
  Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
  Subdevice #2: subdevice #2
  Subdevice #3: subdevice #3
  Subdevice #4: subdevice #4
  Subdevice #5: subdevice #5
  Subdevice #6: subdevice #6
  Subdevice #7: subdevice #7
  Subdevice #8: subdevice #8
  Subdevice #9: subdevice #9
  Subdevice #10: subdevice #10
  Subdevice #11: subdevice #11
  Subdevice #12: subdevice #12
  Subdevice #13: subdevice #13
  Subdevice #14: subdevice #14
  Subdevice #15: subdevice #15
  Subdevice #16: subdevice #16
  Subdevice #17: subdevice #17
  Subdevice #18: subdevice #18
  Subdevice #19: subdevice #19
  Subdevice #20: subdevice #20
  Subdevice #21: subdevice #21
  Subdevice #22: subdevice #22
  Subdevice #23: subdevice #23
  Subdevice #24: subdevice #24
  Subdevice #25: subdevice #25
  Subdevice #26: subdevice #26
  Subdevice #27: subdevice #27
  Subdevice #28: subdevice #28
  Subdevice #29: subdevice #29
  Subdevice #30: subdevice #30
  Subdevice #31: subdevice #31
card 0: Live [SBLive! Value [CT4832]], device 2: emu10k1 efx
[Multichannel Capture/PT Playback]
  Subdevices: 8/8
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
  Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
  Subdevice #2: subdevice #2
  Subdevice #3: subdevice #3
  Subdevice #4: subdevice #4
  Subdevice #5: subdevice #5
  Subdevice #6: subdevice #6
  Subdevice #7: subdevice #7
card 0: Live [SBLive! Value [CT4832]], device 3: emu10k1 [Multichannel Playback]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

If I try,
     aplay -Dplughw:0,0 /usr/share/sounds/shutdown.wav

I hear it play.

Anybody have any idea why it doesn't work under Gnome?

Frank