access ipod files?

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Wed Dec 12 09:02:22 UTC 2007

Tim wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-12-11 at 14:18 -0500, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>
>> I don't know where he was plugging it in to charge it but obviously
>> it was a USB without power.  The battery was dead!
>>

> A lot of devices expect power from USB in a manner against the specs
> (wanting too much current without specifically asking for it, or wanting
> more than can be supplied, anyway).  On some computers they'll
> accommodate, others will not and you'll not get enough current to run
> the device, and you can get random USB failures while you use your PC.
>
> You can get 5 Volt plugpacks that have a female USB connector, and
> that'll allow you to charge USB powered devices without a PC.  If you're
> just playing an Ipod, and rarely changing the contents, that's more
> practical that running a PC just to charge its batteries.

    Yes, and I bought some small 5vdc/2amp supplies that don't appear to
    have 60 cycle transformers, judging from the size and weight, but
    the project has never seen completion.  They've been charging them
    via usb connections for two years now.

    I even bought replacement batteries, only replaced one of them, the
    other still works well.

    Bob Goodwin