list subject

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 13:49:35 UTC 2007

Martin Marques wrote:

>>> FWIW, all the postgresql lists default to no reply-to:.
>> Note the postgres lists allow nonmembers to post (after moderation) which
>> means that you really do want keep people cc'd unless that set
>> mail-followup-to to ssay they don't. Also, once upon a time there was
>> a long delay in mail sent through those lists and keep the principals
>> in a discussion copied you could get things done a lot faster.
>
> The real reason in the pgsql-* lists is not for the non-subscribed
> users, but the suscribed ones that have the nomail option on in there
> majordomo account, so as they don't recieve mail from the mailling list,
> but they can send as they are suscribed, the only acknowledge is to send
> them a copy of the mail to there account.

The canonical way to respond to mail lists has always been a 'reply-all'
since originally they didn't modify the reply-to: header and enough
still don't that it would be a problem to keep track.  But new mail list
users often complain about getting extra copies in their 'personal' mail
  due to the CC: list that is added, or they use 'reply' on a list that
doesn't force responses to the list and they get lost or accidentally
become private conversions so the rest of the list doesn't get to see
the solution.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com