Problem with random disks mount sequence

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 19:34:46 UTC 2007

Alan Cox wrote:

>>> The kernel order depends on the load order of drivers not the BIOS order.
>>> The BIOS order information is there via the EDD interface and could in
>>> theory be used to make links but afaik nobody uses it.
>>>
>>> BIOS order is also far weaker than labels as it may change when a drive
>>> fails or you swap a card.
>> What do you call the drive partition when you are creating the label?
>
> The installer normally labels volumes ROOT USR HOME etc, you can change
> this and my partitions often get relabelled with suitably silly names.

I'm starting to build a box that will have an assortment of scsi and
sata disks, most, but not all paired in md raid1 devices and expect to
have a few hotplug sata and external USB and firewire drives that will
be connected periodically.  Do you have any hints on how to write a
script that will copy things to the recently-mounted drive(s) and how to
avoid boot problems if any of them happen to be connected during a
reboot?  Will the md devices always find/pair themselves regardless of
the underlying partition device names?

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com