Why cant I make my laptop ethernet cards recognise 10Mbs?

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Wed Dec 12 20:07:16 UTC 2007

William Hooper wrote:
> On Dec 12, 2007 2:38 PM, Karl Larsen <k5di at zianet.com> wrote:
> [snip]
>
>>     What I can't understand is your saying the special cat 5 cable did
>> work for some faster Internet.
>>

> You are the first person in this thread to mention the Internet at all.
>

>> It should never work period. The normal
>> cat 5 cable works with all the computers, switches and routers here in
>> USA.
>>

> Define a "normal cat 5 cable".  There are many was of wiring the plugs
> on the end of a cable and different applications may require different
> wiring.  The specific example of this thread is that there is a
> difference between a straight wired cable and a cross over cable.
> Feel free to check Wikipedia and/or Google for the differences if they
> were not explained well enough here for you.
>

>>     The non-working laptop my well just be that your bringing the
>> Internet to it with a wrong cable.
>>

> Again, you are the only one talking about the Internet in this thread.

       First your talking about ethernet cards. They usually mate with a
standard cable which in the USA we call it a category 5 cable available
everywhere. It is white and has plastic large telephone connector on it,
or you buy an expensive crimper and put the connectors on as you like.

     The problem seemed to be the cable was wrong and you got no
Internet. But I gather on another laptop you DO get the Internet. So
there does seem to be a cable problem.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI