Problem with random disks mount sequence

wwp subscript at free.fr
Thu Dec 13 08:20:26 UTC 2007

Hello Mikkel,

On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 15:10:17 -0600 "Mikkel L. Ellertson" <mikkel at infinity-ltd.com> wrote:

> wwp wrote:
> > Hello Mikkel,
> >

> > On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 09:48:07 -0600 "Mikkel L. Ellertson"
> > <mikkel at infinity-ltd.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Dumb question - were you booting with the USB drives plugged in?
> > [snip]
> >
> > Yes, as usually - this has never been a problem w/ FC5, /dev/sda was
> > always the internal disk.
> >
> I wonder if this is caused by the F8 kernels treating everything as
> a SCSI drive. Did you do the install with the USB drives plugged in?

Yes, all my USB devices were plugged in and powered.

> I could see the installer including the usb_storage module in the
> initrd in that case. I believe it would then be included in later
> initrds created when you install newer kernels. But I still don't
> know why the USB drives would be scanned before the SATA drive. You
> would think that the SATA driver would be SCSI controller 0, and the
> USB drives SCSI controllers 1 and 2.

:)

And I insist, reminding that I get RANDOM order when I reboot.
Sometimes the internal is /dev/sda, sometimes not.

And, something that might be interesting:

- the initrd of my current kernel (2.6.23.8-63) DOES contain module
usb_storage

- the initrd of previous kernel (2.6.23.1-49) does NOT contain
usb_storage

Both kernels installed using `yum update`.

Regards,

--
wwp