Problem with random disks mount sequence

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Thu Dec 13 14:27:30 UTC 2007

wwp wrote:

> :)
>
> And I insist, reminding that I get RANDOM order when I reboot.
> Sometimes the internal is /dev/sda, sometimes not.

I believe you. It should not be happening, but I am sure it is. At
this point, I can only give guesses as to why. One thing you may
want to make a note of - is the drive order consistently one way
when doing a cold boot, and another when doing a warm boot? (Reboot)
If so, it is possible that the USB drives have not spun up, or the
electronics properly initialized on a cold boot. This would also be
a possibility if the ordering was consistant on a warm boot, but
random on a cold boot.

> And, something that might be interesting:
>
> - the initrd of my current kernel (2.6.23.8-63) DOES contain module
> usb_storage
>
> - the initrd of previous kernel (2.6.23.1-49) does NOT contain
> usb_storage
>
> Both kernels installed using `yum update`.

This is definitely a bug. The usb_storage module should not be
included in initrd on your machine.

Mikkel