vnc fc8 "visually" slower than fc5

Lorenzo Fiorini lorenzo.fiorini at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 16:06:56 UTC 2007

I've two, almost identical server ibm x236 dual 3ghz xeon, 4gb ram
4x73gb raid 10 successfully running fc5/gnome for 40-50 vnc users
since years.

I've installed fc8 to one of them, everything went up smootly but the
"visual" response of the new fc8/gnome ( 32 bit ) is much slower than
the "old" fc5/gnome ( 32 bit ).

>From the same workstation vncviewer to fc8 shows for 1-2 seconds the
gray background before the gdm login comes out and when logged in the
graphic response is "slow" and this becomes even worse with OpenOffice
apps and I'm the only user at the moment. vncviewer to fc5 "seems"
twice as faster even if is used by 40 users.

I've set up everything for the performance: solid background, second
panel removed, useless applets removed but it still "looks slow".

Any suggestion?

Both x236 have an integrated Ati 7000.

Can it be the new gnome/Xorg?

best regards,