Are nVidia closed source drivers still needed for 2 years old chipset?

dondi_2006 dondi_2006 at libero.it
Thu Dec 13 16:16:50 UTC 2007

Hello,

I have to install FC 8 on a computer with a nForce430/
GeForce6150 chipset.

I have printed out the instructions to install the nVidia drivers but then I thought "maybe two years of
reverse engineering were enough to make the
open source drivers suport 100% that chipset.

Is this the case? Are the closed source drivers available today from  http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html still needed to
use under fedora all the capabilities of a 2+ year old
chipset?

Or is the current version of the nv driver enough?

Basically, do I still need today the closed source
drivers to get all those chips are capable of?

Thanks,
D.